Quick tips to keep your home secure
Our home is more than just the place where our families, our pets, and our belongings live, it’s our shelter in the storm, the place where we can relax and unwind. We all want to feel safe in our homes, and while we can’t control some things, there are some easy ways that we can make sure that our home is secure. These basic security measures can not only help give us peace of mind, but they can help keep us safe.
- Use deadbolts: A sturdy deadbolt on all your exterior doors will help keep your home secure. If your doors have a window, also consider installing a floor lock as an extra precaution.
- Motion-activated floodlights: Installing motion-sensor floodlights around your home will help shine a light on anyone who might be entering your property after dark. Make sure the bulbs are changed regularly for optimal use.
- Sliding doors: If you have a sliding door, make sure there is a solid bar or dowel in the tacking system. This will help prevent break-ins by preventing a trespasser from easily opening the door. This bar should measure almost the exact length of the track so there is enough room to remove it from the inside, but not so much room that someone could open the door enough to gain access to the inside.
- Spare combination: Gone are the days of being able to hide a spare key under a stone by the door or on top of the doorframe – thieves know where to find your key! Instead, give your key to someone you trust, or install a small combination safe somewhere on the property.
- Visible house number: Your house number should be easily seen in the event that you need to make an emergency call. Consider using reflective numbers or installing a light above the area. It’s important that your home can be identified even if it is dark out.
The knowledgeable staff at Pop-A-Lock can advise you on all things relating to home security. To find a locksmith that you can rely on, choose Pop-A-Lock. For a business near you, search on Pop-A-Lock.ca by city name or postal code.